Note: This blog is helpful for Windows users with Canon printers.
Canon printers that are multifunction machines let you print, scan and copy a document. Windows users have experienced an issue – the scanning function isn’t working with windows 10 or windows 11. Upgrading Windows may make some changes on your PC and change the canon printer setting, resulting in some functions not working. It’s a common issue that can be solved with some general solution tricks.
Here are a few tricks to solve the scan issues in Canon Printer on Windows.
- Ensure Your Canon Printer Is Compatible With Windows
The all-in-one Canon printer doesn’t work when not compatible with your Windows PC. You’ll have to check whether your printer is supported in the current platform. Most Canon printer machines are compatible with Windows 10/11. If not, check out the compatibility list on the Canon support site and install the other version.
- Install/Update Right Drivers
Outdated or corrupt drivers cause slow performance while scanning in Canon printers. Make sure your MF drivers for the Canon printer are the latest. If not, update them all.
- Visit Canon manufacture site, i.e., canon.com/ijsetup.
- Click Setup to find drivers.
- Enter your canon all-in-one printer model serial.
- Choose your current Windows OS.
- Find the correct drivers and click Download.
- Double click on MF or MP drivers and install on your Windows.
- Now, connect your canon printer to Windows and try scanning with the current model.
- Use the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Windows has two troubleshooters for the Canon printer. If you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, your scanning issues could resolve. Try the below steps to run the troubleshooters in Windows OS.
- Search troubleshoot in Windows search box.
- You’ll see the troubleshooter’s list on the current screen.
- Click on “Hardware and Devices” and hit on the Run tab.
- Read the instructions and follow them to run the troubleshooter.
- Press on Run the troubleshooter.
Wait for a while and recheck your printer. Once the troubleshooter has done its job, retry scanning with your Canon printer.
- Windows Image Acquisition Services
Image Acquisition Services allows communication between graphics software and hardware with imaging hardware. So, when you enable the WIA services, the scanner issues may get resolved. It’s better if the service is in running mode.
- Open the Windows search.
- Enter the Windows Image Acquisition in the search box and find it.
- Open the Windows Image Acquisition Services. You may right-click and select Properties.
- Open the General tab and select Automatic in startup type.
- Click Apply, then OK.
- Choose the system account in Log On and tick on Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Now, hover the mouse to the Recovery tab, open the First failure drop-down box and select Restart the Service.
- Then, restart your Windows computer and retry the Scan.
- Canon Scanner Skip Blank Page Settings
It has been recognized that the Skip Blank page settings allow users to dismiss the blank pages scanning function in the Canon printer. With the Skip Blank page On, the Canon printer won’t scan the document as it has blank page input. You should also change this setting and for the black page, set the color page as default. You can simply do this by navigating to the Canon scanner setting and set as color pages, or don’t skip the blank page temporarily.
- Other Solutions
If any of the above solutions don’t work for your Canon printer, then you can try some other solutions to solve the scanning issue with Windows.
- Restart everything connected to Canon printer, including Windows PC and cables
- Make changes in the MF ToolBox Permissions.
- Open MF toolbox, right-click and select Properties.
- Click on the Change settings for all users tab.
- The pops window and select the “Run this program as administrator” tab.
- If needed, you can reset the picture folder permission and open Properties of the pictures/documents folder.
- Go to the Security, and choose your username.
- Click Edit and choose Allow.
- Make sure you’ve tried reinstallation of the scanner and MF toolbox.
- Run System File Checker. If there are corrupted files, SFC will detect all the problematic files and correct them.
Did the above solutions solve your Scan issues?